Parish History


Until St. John's Church was established in 1872, Slatersville was considered part of St. Patrick's Church in Harrisville.  Great numbers of French Canadian Catholics began to arrive in Slatersville and Forestdale, however, in the late 1860's and early 1870's.  These new arrivals swelled the already existing Irish community in the village, making the founding of a new parish necessary.


One of the first tasks for St. John's parish was the building of the Church.  On November 23, 1871, for the price of $1, land was acquired.  William S. Slater, who owned the mill and surrounding village, would not give the land directly to the church, for some unknown reason.  Instead, he sold the land to his housekeeper, Sarah Devlin, who in turn gave the land to the Bishop.  Construction of the church began in January of 1872.  An article in the March 22, 1872 issue of the Woonsocket Patriot said St. John's Church was near completion.  Bishop Hendricken formally dedicated the church on June 9, 1872.


St. John the Evangelist Parish in the Slatersville section of the Town of North Smithfield, RI, was established in 1872.  The area saw an increased population to work at the textile mills founded by John Slater, brother of Samuel Slater, the founder of America’s Industrial Revolution.  "Slatersville" was the first mill village community in the United States.  The same year saw the Town of North Smithfield also incorporated.  With some renovations, the church building has served the people of the surrounding community continuously for more than 150 years.  The new extension to the church building was dedicated in 1987 to accommodate the expanding parish.